Go Back   The Gear Journal > Gadgets & Gear > Knives

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default The Boker SUBCOM

Here's a quick little video review on the ever-popular Boker SUBCOM knife. These little buggers are available in a number of different colors, finishes, and blade styles and... To read the rest of this blog entry from The Gear Journal, click here.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
JohnJoyo

I went to a knife store in Bryan, TX (College Station, Tx) today...they had a great selection of Boker knives. They are really nice! They feel really good in the hand, I'd get one.

Last edited by JohnJoyo; 06-06-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: new info
JohnJoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Sharpdogs

Default Re: The Boker SUBCOM

Just a word of warning on these knives, they are addictive. My favorite is the wharcom followed by it's little brother the keycom.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
JohnMcD348

I need to give these little knives a look. I'd like a small knife to keep with me for every day cutting needs that doesn't "Look mean and evil". I carry a Spyderco now along with my Swiss Champ and it amazes me how people react differently when they see me take one or the other out. The Spyderco creates a reaction of "You carry a Knife????" where as the Champ elicits: "That's Cute. Big but Cute".
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
plym49

I have a couple of cheapo hardware store versions of that knive. They cost about a dollar each and I consider them throwaways. Damn if they don't stay sharp, and every time I think that I've lost one, a few weeks later it turns back up.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
plym49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
I need to give these little knives a look. I'd like a small knife to keep with me for every day cutting needs that doesn't "Look mean and evil". I carry a Spyderco now along with my Swiss Champ and it amazes me how people react differently when they see me take one or the other out. The Spyderco creates a reaction of "You carry a Knife????" where as the Champ elicits: "That's Cute. Big but Cute".
I've carried a knive every day every place since I was a boy scout. SOmetimes I still get that reaction from people: "you carry a knive?". As if you were walking around with a WMD. LOL

One person was a female coworker who like to jog alone, including through the woods. 'You DON'T carry a knive!?" was my response.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
JohnMcD348

I've carried one with me since about the same time. I got my first knife on my 7th birthday. My dad bought me an Old Timer 3 blade and I carried that or my Cub Scout knife with me pretty much every day until I got older. Then I got an Uncle Henry that matched my Old Timer to carry with me when I was in the Navy as it held up better in salty water. I also carried either a Leatherman or Gerber for real work. Now that I'm not doing that much anymore I always have my Swiss Champ SAK on me. I can do anything I need to when I need to as long as I have that in my pocket.

I don't carry the Uncle Henry or my Old Timer anymore. They both stay in the wifes Jewelry box for safe keeping. One day I was out and needed to write a check. Neither me or the girl at the counter had a pen. I remembered just then that my SAK had a small pen. I pulled out the pen and thought the girl was going to have a panic attack. When I pulled the pen out of the side f it, she thought it was the cutest, neatest thing ever.......

Another time (pre 9/11) me and my team were flying commercial and I had my SAK with me. Back then they allowed knives under 3 inches. This person at the scanner looked at my knife and unfolded each and every one of the items in it. By the time she finished it looked like a advertisement display. She then told me I couldn't carry it on because they don't allow weapons on board. I looked at here and said, It's not a weapon, it's a Swiss Army Knife. They're a Neutral Country and don't have weapons. She seriously looked at it for a few moments and then closed it all back and handed it back to me. My Mst. Sgt. was standing next to me amazed that I had pulled that explanation out so quickly and convincingly. I was too actually.
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
ps

They are great ,my only issue was that the knife was so small (the handle) It was a bit difficult to use (atleast control.) Still a great knife and perfect for those times when you are a bit dressed up and it may not be acceptable to have a larger knife hanging out of your pocket.
ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Unkl Ian

How well do the plastic thumb studs stand up ?

Has anyone got a Subcom Titan(Titanium) ?
Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
Unkl Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Has anyone got a Subcom Titan(Titanium) ?

Got mine, pretty nice.
Will be nicer when I finish modifying it.
Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote