Go Back   The Gear Journal > Gadgets & Gear > First Aid

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
KomoG2

Question Pocket Size?

Anyone here have a kit for a small pocket size first aid kit. Something to do with the weekely stabbing from the corner of a razor blade? I deal with a lot of boxes and seem to stab myself continousely, weather it be from the tip of a blade or an unseen industrial staple. All im asking about is a few band aids, something to disinfect and something else like twezers or something. Anyone have anything, or ideas?
KomoG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Lou's Garage

Default Re: Pocket Size?

Attached to the outside of my first aid kit (for quick retrieval) I have a small, pocket sized, military box marked: "Training Aid, Personal Decontamination Kit, M58A1". It has a small nylon loop with a spring clasp that hooks to one of the eyelets on the outside of the pack. It is small enough to carry on a belt loop, which I've done on occasion. Inside I have: a roll of 2" roller gauze, 2 extra large band-aids, Four - 1 1/2" x 2" sterile pads, a half-dozen regular size Band-Aids, four smaller band-aids, four wound wipes (a pre-moistened first aid cleaning pad made by Curad), a small sleeve of triple antibiotic ointment, and a roll of half inch tape. As I'm writing this, I realized that I left out a pair of gloves but there is still enough space left to correct that oversight.

Lou
Lou's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
KomoG2

Cool Thanks Lou. Going to have to try and assemble something like this for me to use. Dont mind if I copy and slightly modify the design do you? Anyone else have anything to add?
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Lou's Garage

Copy away! That's why I put it out there. I knew it would at least be a thought starter. It started out when my son was in Scouts and I wanted something small to slip in my backpack when we went camping. The contents have changed over the years as it has evolved into whatever I need at present. Currently, it's intended for small wounds so I don't have to dig through my whole first aid bag for a band aid.

Lou
Old 12-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
KomoG2

Cool! Thanks Lou! Great point with the band aids. Thinking I may make something up when I have a few free moments.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
KomoG2

Ok so its been a couple months now. I lost one job, and now I have a different one with similiar "hazards" of the day.

So I found a little pocket thing whilst rummaging through my bathroom drawers one day. Filled it up with a bunch of bandaids and went with that. Cop out rite? So I revised it a few times and this is what I have in it rite now.

1) small needle for removing pesky splinters or slivers
2)tweezers for the ultimate removal of said slivers
3)four small fabric backed bandaids
4)four regular sized bandaids
5)two benzalkonium chloride towelettes
6)two single cotton tipped applicators-steril qtips
** Note the needle is stuck in the leather carry thing itself**

Keep in mind all this is supposed to answer are small scrapes and cuts while on the job, all from my pocket.
Im a mover, so being ready for all sorts of careless injuries, cuts mostly, was all I really needed to be able to take care of with this thing. And being such the "urban warior" I dont think a true first aid kit is completely neccessary, considering I'm in a lot of places that have a fully stocked and ready to use first aid kit, somewhere in the building. Just want to carry things that would do the job, so we can do the job, with out bleeding all over what were touching.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0922.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	288  
Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
Rashy
Super Moderator

Cool! Did you see the first Aid kit in the Altoids tin?
Rashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 AM   #8
Lou's Garage

It's nice to have something quick and handy to treat that minor annoyance without having to make a project out of it or ignore it and just hope the bleeding stops soon. nice job!

Lou
Old 03-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
KomoG2

Rashy, I did see the Altoids tin, well the whole article. Thought that'd be cool but something just a little smaller, thinner, would be more suitable for my purposes. Pocket carry as apposed a back pack
Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
KomoG2

So while working yesterday I scratched my arm pretty good trying to bear hug a metal piece of office furniture. I hit it with an alchohol wipe, a pair of band aids and I was good. Took me 5 minutes tops and all the white furniture never saw a drop of my red stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0980.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	298  
Old 04-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Lou's Garage

Mission Accomplished!!!

Lou